Sebastian's Pamphlets

If you've read my articles somewhere on the Internet, expect something different here.

MOVED TO SEBASTIANS-PAMPHLETS.COM

Please click the link above to read actual posts, this archive will disappear soon!

Stay tuned...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Interested in buying a text link

Today I give up on answering emails like this one:
Hello,

First of all I would like to introduce my company as one of the best web hosting service provider from [country] named [link]. We are in the hosting business since 2004 and have more than 3000 satisfied customers.

We are having PR -6 and an alexa ranking of 63,697

We are interested to purchase a link at your site, please provide us with a suitable quotation.

Waiting for your kind reply.

Regards,
[Name, Company ...]
Besides the fact that a page claiming a PageRank of minus six most probably is not that kind of neighborhood I'd tend to link out to, it's a kinda stupid attempt.

Not only the page where the contact link was clicked is in no way related to web hosting services (it just triggers a few green pixels in the Google toolbar). Each and every page on this topic has a link leading to my take on paid links, which does not encourage link monkey business, so to say.

My usual reply to such emails was "Thanks for writing, you can buy a nofollow'ed link marked as advertising for a low as [tiny monthly fee] when you suggest a page on my site which is relevant to yours and I like what you provide to your visitors/users" plus an explanation of the link condom. No takers.

The message above is from a clown abusing my contact form today, so I guess it's OK to quote it. It is however symptomatic, there are lots of folks out there who still believe that fooling the engines is that simple. I admit it can be done, but I'm with Eric Ward who says it's not worth it.


Tags: ()
Share this post at StumbleUpon
Stumble It!
    Share this post at del.icio.us
Post it to
del.icio.us
 


-->

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home