Sebastian's Pamphlets

If you've read my articles somewhere on the Internet, expect something different here.

MOVED TO SEBASTIANS-PAMPHLETS.COM

Please click the link above to read actual posts, this archive will disappear soon!

Stay tuned...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hey, there is content in the widgets!

Yeah, I do know the layout of this blog is somewhat cluttered. Especially the sidebar with all the JS script calls slowing down page loads. Not that Blogger page load times are exiting at all, especially not with the classic template. Forgive me, I just can't stay away from fancy stuff.

Perhaps you're not exactly interested in my twits telling you that my monsters are asleep and I can code untroubled, or that I've dugg or sphunn my friends' posts. Perfectly legit votings of course, since we share that many interests so that I often like what my buddies write and submit to whatever social bookmarking services or communities.

Of course you couldn't care less on stats like how many blogs in the Technorati universe (which is a tiny subset of the GoogleBlogSearch universe, which is a tiny subset of the blogosphere, which is a tiny subset of the Web ... Ok, you don't give a f***) link to my pamplets. Actually, here you could help me out, just put me on your blogroll. Honestly, the lack of backlinks is scandalous. Everybody reads my stuff but very few of you dear readers link to me. I don't consider scrapers readers, so their links don't count. Since my audience consists of 99% Webmasters, I hope all of you understand the syntax of my beloved A element. I promote lots of nice folks in my diverse blogroll sections, but very few return the honor. Not even the Google blog lists me under "What We're Reading" (please notice the capital "W" indicating a pluralis majestatis), although I spam FeedFetcher with Google bashing quite frequently. Weird ...

And no, the MBL users list doesn't count as content (but it's nice to see who visited), and the AdSense stuff is just informational (and remains unclicked by the way, you guys and gals are way too savvy). Oups, I did it again: four inexpressively paragraphs before I come to the point - vice.

Since I add widgets when I discover them, you've to scroll down for the GoogleReader thingy. It's titled "Sebastian's picked gems", and I mean that.

When I stumble upon a great post, I share it. That does not mean that I agree 100%, perhaps I even disagree 100%, but when I share a post I believe it's worth reading. Honestly, you wouldn't read my pamplets if you wouldn't share (a few of) my pet peeves, would you?

I guess it's safe to assume that you'll enjoy reading my shared articles. Good news is, you can subscribe to the feed of my selected readings. I don't recycle news, so I don't blog every tidbit I find on the 'Net. Hence you should subscribe to the feed and read the content I'd like to have on my blog although I'm too busy (Ok Ok, that's just a lame excuse for laziness) to publish it myself.

If you read my blog in your preferred feed reader, you'll miss out on some exciting stuff!

Labels:

Share this post at StumbleUpon
Stumble It!
    Share this post at del.icio.us
Post it to
del.icio.us
 


-->

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, July 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Sebastian,

    I definitely think you deserve some link love for all the good info you have been posting. We are linking to you this Friday.

    Khalid

     
  • At Tuesday, July 24, 2007, Blogger JLH said…

    Okay, one of these days I should work on my blogroll! I'll do my best. I second the notion on not being in Google's blogroll, not to mention that they haven't addded me yet. I think it's a conspiracy. Though I see that SEL lists you, which is an honor. My links to you are in content, so I hope that's worth a little something. OH OH, we may have some recips going on, better run. :)

     
  • At Wednesday, July 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Sebastian, you're not linking to the content properly, the "gems" are in javascript! If you're recommending them, wouldn't a real, indexable html link be more correct? Even your page on google.com/reader/ is not passing value (it's disallowed in the robots.txt). Are they really gems? ;-) "Link out and you shall receive (PR)"

     
  • At Wednesday, July 25, 2007, Blogger Sebastian said…

    Khalid, thank you! I'm glad you like my stuff :)

    JLH, I really appreciate your thoughtful linking within your content! That's not just "worth a little something", actually those links are way better than blogroll links, because these topical connectors send me visitors who are interested in the stuff I wrote. As a byproduct they carry hearty search engine love, what is more than the sheer cyclic PageRank transfers and more or less non-topical site connectors from blogroll to blogroll can do.

    Not that blogroll links are bad, but they usually deliver less visitors in a year than a linked post per day. Ok, the Google blogroll definitely sends more visitors, I know that from lurking in foreign stats. But as you say, Google and Blogger have this unreal conspiracy thingy running what excludes our blogs from a honor they certainly deserve. Perhaps I've slandered the blogger crew too often, and revealing that the Google founders threw chairs on their engineers in building 43 didn't help much either. Selling PR8 links in lots of thousands and paparazzing Adam Lasnik may have put us over the edge. Sigh.

    JohnMu, oh why do you rub salt into my wounds? Nick Baum is such a helpful guy, I just can't bother him with a request to develop a gadget which carries clean links to shared items. Also, I'm not sure we can convince Dan Crow to tell Ms. Googlebot that following JavaScript links within the GoogleReader gadgets is a bright idea. Well, I can think of a way to convert the shared feed into a raw blog post. If I'll find the time I'll put code where my principles are: linking out loud gains link love.

    Thank you all :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home