Interestingly this search term starts out in September or October 2004, and shows a quite stable trend until the recent paid links debate started.
Who or what caused SEOs to massively buy links since 2004?
- The Playboy interview with Google cofounders Larry Page and Sergey Brin just before Google was about to go public?
- Google's IPO?
- Rumors that Google ran out of index space and therefore might restrict the number of doorway pages in the search index?
- Nick Wilson preparing the launch of Threadwatch?
- AdWords and Overture no longer running gambling ads?
- The Internet Advancement scandal?
- Google's shortage of beer at the SES Google dance?
- A couple UK based SEOs invented bought organic rankings?
Seriously, buying links for rankings was an established practice way before 2004. If you know the answer, or if you've a somewhat plausible theory, leave it in the comments. I'm really curious. Thanks.
Post it to